Saturday, October 25, 2014

Apple Pie Pockets






As the weather begins to get colder I long for warm comfort food.  One such food that comes to mind and that is PIE!!  Warm Apple Pie to be exact.  This also happens to be my favorite pie, but who's keeping track?? 


As much as I love apple pie, at this moment, I was not wishing for an entire apple pie; so I decided to look into making either apple turnovers or apple pockets of some sort.  So with the help of the internet I began my search.  let me tell you there is by all means a lot of recipes out there for apples, but none of them appealed to me.  Some had too many steps, some had too many ingredients, some were just too weird.  I am a simple person, and I like simple things.  Recipes don't have to be complicated or require vast amounts of things people don't know to be good.  Sometimes the best ones are those that are the simplest.

This is when I decided to forgo the internet and try it my way!!

This is one of those moments when baking becomes so much fun!  I love trying new things to see how it may turn out.  So using my apple pie filling recipe, THAT I LOVE, I decided to make mini Apple Pie Pockets.  AMAZING!!

Not only that, but my husband, who I love more than life, took some with him to work and everyone told me how awesome they were!!  That is something that I love to hear.  I love feeding people and the best complement to get is to know that what you fed them was very well liked.  I love having people willing to try things for me and give back honest feedback.

This is definitely a recipe that I will be making again soon, and who knows maybe YOU can be on the next taste test panel. 

Here is what you need:
Apple Filling:
3 pounds of mixed apples (I used Red Delicious and Granny Smith)
2/3 cup sugar
Lemon juice
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon Flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I use cocoa nutmeg)
pinch of salt 

1 package Puffed Pastry
egg wash
Sugar in the Raw

Peel and core the apples and chop into small pieces. 





Toss the apples with the sugar and lemon juice.  Heat butter in a large skillet over medium high heat and add the apples.





Cook the apples, stirring until tender for about 10 minutes.  Stir in the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Cook till thicken about 1 more minute.  Turn off the heat and let cool.

Allow the puffed pastry to thaw according to directions on package.





On a floured surface, roll out one of the sheets into a square about 15 by 15, give or take, and using a pizza cutter, cut into about 8 squares.

Using a small cookie scoop, place an amount near the edge of the square and brush with egg wash around the edges of the square. 





Gently fold over the edge of the square and gently push out all of the air sealing the pie filling into the pocket.  Brush the outside of the pocket with egg wash and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Cut slits into the top of each pocket to allow steam to vent and sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw.  Refrigerate for 10 minutes.


After the 10 minutes are up, remove from fridge and bake in a 375 degree F oven for 14 -16 minutes.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve warm. 


If there are any leftover the next day, heat for about 10 seconds in the microwave to warm.  Sooooo good!!

Happy Baking and ENJOY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home