Thursday, July 31, 2014

Spiced Zucchini Cookies







Cookies, cookies, cookies.  Oh how I love cookies.  These cookies that I am going to share with you are not a sweet cookie, but more of a spiced cookie.  That is one of the reasons that I love them so much.  There is just something about a spiced cookie that appeals to me.  That and they have frosting on them.  Who doesn't love frosting?!

I made these cookies the other day, and then brought a few over to my mothers house as payment for watching my kids for me.  When I picked them up, I found out that not only did I bring these cookies, but so did my sister.  The kids thought this was great, and the only thing they said was different about the two batches of cookies, was that my sister did not frost all of the cookies, where I did.  My oldest daughter was great full for the unfrosted cookies, because she did not like the Cream Cheese frosting. 

This is a recipe that I got years ago from my sister-in-law, and love making them every time I get fresh zucchini.  I'm sure it works well with store bought zucchini as well, but I will admit I have never made it that way.  I usually only make them when I get home grown zucchini.  They have a crunch and a chewy quality that make these cookies so good.

So let's get started.

Here is what you need:
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup raisons
1 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting:
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 8oz package cream cheese softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Shred your zucchini using a food processor and set aside.



Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and mix well.  In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves and nutmeg if desired.  Add the flour to the creamed mixture alternating with the shredded zucchini.  Make sure the zucchini is mixed in well.  Stir in the raisins and walnuts.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. 





For the frosting combine the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until well mixed.  Gradually at the confectioners' sugar and mix until you have the desired constancy that you are looking for.  At this point you can simply take and off set spatula and frost the cookies, or you can do what I did and that is take a pastry bag and using a #21 star tip, create a neat swirl pattern on each cookie.  No matter how you frost them they still come out AMAZING!



The only thing that I recommend at this point is that any you don't eat right away, refrigerate any left overs that have frosting on them.  You don't want the cream cheese to spoil.

Happy Baking and ENJOY!! 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home