Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Coffee Cake!!



I am not a huge breakfast person.  Oh I know it is the most important meal of the day and I do eat it, but I am always looking for new ways to make my day start better and for that to happen I need a good breakfast.  I am definitely one of those people who needs to have a cup of coffee in the morning in order to function and I really love flavored coffees too.  My husband thinks I am nuts about that, but who can not love a good cup of Blueberry coffee!!  Definitely not me!!

Having three kids at home for the summer means that I don't always get that hot cup of coffee that I crave, but at least I get it.  I must confess that there are many days that when my husband leaves for work at 5:30am I will get up just to have a cup all by myself and savor the silence before the house becomes awake with my crazy, but beautiful kids.  I really enjoy this quite time.  I'll sit and watch the sun rise and mentally plan out my day.

With this planning, comes the conclusion that I am not all for a big  breakfast, especially if I am in the middle of laundry and cleaning.  I like to be able to eat on the run so to say.  This of course brings to mind one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast and that is Coffee Cake.  To me this is a great addition to anyone's day.  How can you not love to goodness of a sweet, crumbly cake topped with a sweet, crumbly brown sugar topping?  Top this off with a steaming cup of your favorite coffee and let me tell you, you are in heaven.  

Coffee cake has always been one of my favorite foods.  I used to love to eat it whenever I could and I will admit that for a very long time I was addicted to Tastykake Coffee Cakes.  OMG those things are so good.  I have tried a lot of recipes to find one that I like, and let me tell you this was not easy.  Not that I am super picky, but none of them really worked for me.  Even this recipe that I found I tweaked, but through trial and error I was able to make a great coffee cake that got rave reviews from my family, and you know if they like it that it has to be good.

Here is what you need:
Cake:
2 cups of flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Crumb Topping:
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.  Make to Crumb Topping by combing the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.  Cut in butter (I used a pastry cutter for this part, but a fork can work just a well) until the mixture resembles crumbs and then set aside.


Next in a larger bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.  Again cut in the butter like you did for the Crumb Topping.





Now, crack the egg into a measuring cup and then add the milk until you have 1 full cup.  Add the vanilla and carefully mix together.




Carefully pour into the dry mixture and mix until it is all moistened.  Be careful not to over mix it.





As close as you can, separate the batter equally into the two cake pans and sprinkle with the Crumb Topping.






 Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.




I have to admit that I made two of these, and the is really only one left.  I love it when the food I make disappears. 

Happy Baking and ENJOY!!


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home