Monday, February 10, 2014

Chocolate Chip Scones

If you look up the word Coffee House online you come up with a vast array of definitions, but the all pretty much have the same meaning. 

cof·fee·house also coffee house  (kô′fē-hous′, kŏf′ē-)
n.
A restaurant where coffee and other refreshments are served, especially one where people gather for conversation, games, or musical entertainment.

Now according to Wikipedia, which I know if not super reliable, but still......

As the name suggests, coffeehouses focus on providing coffee and tea as well as light snacks.

SNACKS!!!  There is the key word that I know you were all looking for.  Almost all coffee houses serve some type of light snack.  That is buy far my favorite part of going to a good coffee house.  Oh don't get me wrong, I love coffee, but I LOVE snacks and scones happen to be my favorite. 
So now in continuing with our definitions, I looked up the word Scone, and this is what I got....
Scone skōn,skän/ noun a small unsweetened or lightly sweetened biscuit like cake made from flour, fat, and milk and sometimes having added fruit.
Scones are something that I truly love to eat for breakfast, or when out with friends.  I have tried many different ways to make them and I can assure you that they can be easy to make.  I have made them with raisins, and these are my husbands favorite ones.  I also tried a cranberry and orange flavored one.  Both my daughter and I really liked them.  They had a sweet and sour taste that was amazing.  That was until I made the Chocolate Chip one!!
Admit it, you love chocolate and anything you can put chocolate in is that much better.  I know that I am like this.  So when I tried the Chocolate Chip Scones, I knew that I had found a winner.  These were the perfect mix to any chocolate lovers heart.  With just a kiss of vanilla and a touch of sugar, these scones where the perfect breakfast treat.
Where is how you make them.....
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) frozen unsalted butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1 egg
In a food processor, and yes it is much, much easier to mix if you have one, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Pulse a few times to mix together.  Cut butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture.  Pulse until the mixture begins to flake.

 
In a separate bowl whisk together the sour cream, vanilla, and egg.
 
Pour into the flour mix and pule until a dough begins to form.  Add the Chocolate chips and pulse a few more time.  Remove dough and place on a generously floured board.
 
Shape the dough into a circle about the thickness of your thumb nail.

Next, sprinkle the dough with a little bit of table sugar.  This gives the scones a nice sweet taste on top and also a golden glaze after baking.  It is a really nice touch to these treats.  Take either a pizza cutter of a dough cutter, cut the dough into eight triangles. 


Place the triangles on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes.



Allow to cool and enjoy either warm or at room temperature.  Store any remaining leftovers in an air tight container.

These are the perfect coffee house treat to have at home or to shard with a friend.  They go great with a cup of French Vanilla Cappuccino, if I do say so myself.

Happy Baking and ENJOY!!
 

 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home