Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Applesauce Muffins

Given the choice between a bag of chips and a bag of carrots, my kids will always pick the carrots.  Now I know that this is not the case with all kids, but with mine it is.  They have always been really good eaters and 9 times out of 10 are more than willing to try something new.  Now don’t get me wrong they like the occasional junk food, but these are few and far between.  They are also always looking for snacks to have especially after school, so I went on a hunt to find something that was sweet, good for you, and above all good tasting.  I myself am a HUGE muffin lover.  I love just about any and all types of muffins, so I thought wouldn’t it be fun to find a great muffin recipe that my kids would love, but would be good for them as well.  Well after some trial and error, I think I have found it.

Applesauce Muffins are not only quick, easy, and good for you, but they taste AMAZING.  With a few simple ingredients these muffins are done in no time and trust me when I tell you that they will not last long in your house, as least they never last long in mine.

Here is what you need:



·         6 tablespoons of unsalted butter melted
·         1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
·         1 teaspoon of baking powder
·         ½ teaspoon of baking soda
·         1 teaspoon of cinnamon
·         ½ teaspoon of salt
·         ½ teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
·         2 eggs
·         2/3 cup packed brown sugar


·         1 ½ cups of chunky applesauce

Now for the assembly of these awesome muffins.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Line a small 24 cup muffin pan with baking cups, you can also make these in the standard 12 cup muffin pan as well.  My kids prefer the mini muffins, so that is how I make them, but that is by no means the only way these can be made.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg (again this ingredient is optional, but it adds a layer of flavor that makes these muffins extra special.  I use a coca flavored nutmeg, but if you don’t have it, regular nutmeg works well too) into a large bowl.  If you do not have a sifter at home, use a wire whisk, you will get the same affect.


In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until well combined.  Then add in the melted butter and applesauce.  For this recipe I like to use the small 4oz container of chunky applesauce.  Less mess and easier cleanup.  You will need 3 4oz containers.  Mix until everything is well combined. 



Next carefully add the applesauce mixture to the flour mixture.
 
 
Mix together until all the flour mixture is combined into the applesauce mixture. 



Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full with batter using a small cookie scoop. 


 
 

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a light golden brown in color.



This recipe will make about 48 mini muffins.

My kids love these for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.  I guarantee that your family will love them too!

Happy baking!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home