Monday, August 11, 2014

Tortilla Roll-Ups



The kids are getting ready to go back to school and I am getting ready to go back to work.  It seems weird in so many ways.  I have been a stay at home mom for over two years now, so going back to work is going to be hard.  Not only that, but my baby is starting Kindergarten this year.  I cannot believe that he is 5 already.  This is going to be a big change for all of us.  We started to get things ready, such as backpacks, lunch boxes, notebooks, etc.; and it got me thinking that I need to think about snacks.  This is not only for my kids, but for me as well.  I take my lunch to work and so I need snacks too.   

 
I try to make snacks that are not only fun, but healthy as well.  My kids are really good eaters, but even the best eater gets bored with the same old thing.  I also try and make snacks that are portable.  My kids are very hard on their lunch boxes and you never know how squished they are going to get, so I try and make things that are not to squish able.  I also have invested in reusable containers that stand up to a lot of wear and tear.
With three kids come three different tastes in what they like.  Trying to find something to please them all does not always work out to well, but I do what I can.  Trying to find a snack all three of them will enjoy does not always work out well either.  I have posted before on making Homemade Granola Bars, and if you have not read it or tried the recipe I highly suggest you do.  This is a great snack that everyone in my family loves and it very easy to make.  This one is sure to be in their lunch boxes this year.  
Something else that my kids love is Salsa.  They love to dip nachos in it, chips, pretzels, just about anything.  We have mixed it with sour cream, which is awesome too, and then they dipped nachos in it. That got me to thinking about a recipe that my mom has made that is perfect for snacking.  They are called Tortilla Roll-ups and they are a great little snack perfect to dip in salsa and enjoy.  They also make a great addition to any party as an appetizer..
These roll-ups have only a few ingredients, and are very simple to make.  I love the flavor and the fact that they are bite size.  They store well and one batch makes quite a few roll-ups.   

Here is what you need:


2 - 8oz packages of Cream Cheese at room temperature
1 - 8oz package of shredded cheddar cheese (or any cheese you like)
1 small can of chopped green chilies (if you like it hot you can add jalapeno to this)
1 small  can of chopped black olives
1 package of flour tortillas

Mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green chilies and black olives together.



Take one of the tortillas and spread a generous amount all over, making sure to get as close to the edge as possible.  This will act like a glue when you roll them up.  


Starting at any end, roll the tortilla up and gently push to create a nice tight seal.



Finish filling the remaining tortillas with mixture and roll each one up individually.  Next wrap each one individually in plastic wrap.  This make it not only easier to handle, but it makes it easier for serving purposes.  Place the individually wrapped tortillas into a Ziploc bag and place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, but 24 hours works best.  They are easier to slice if they are cold.  This recipe will make between 10-12 roll-ups when you use the soft taco size tortillas.  


When ready to serve take out the desired amount that you want and slice about 1/2 inch thick and serve with salsa.  Remember to refrigerate any left overs.


 I guarantee that these will be a simple yet yummy addition to any snack time, lunch time, or party time.

Happy eating and ENJOY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home