Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pumpkin-Apple Cinnamon Strussel Muffins


This time of year brings out all the best things, like two of my favorite things...fresh apples and pumpkin.  I love the two of the separately, but together, they are awesome!!


My Applesauce Muffins are by far one of my favorite muffins to make.  If you haven't tried them I suggest you do, you won't be disappointed.

I began to think that combining pumpkin with the applesauce muffins just might make a pretty good muffin.  So I began to hunt for a recipe, or more like what some people have done to combine the two.  I will admit that there are quite a few different recipes out there for pumpkin and apple muffins.  I looked and looked and soon decided to take a little of one and mix with a little of another and add some of my own touches as well, and next thing I know I have Pumpkin-Apple Cinnamon Strussel Muffins.

They were amazing!  My husband who is not a huge fan of pumpkin that is not in the form of pumpkin pie, thought that they were really good.  Even my kids liked them, especially the Strussel topping.  They are a simple muffin that is great for breakfast of even an after dinner treat.

Here is what you need:
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I used cocoa nutmeg)
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups chopped apples

Topping:
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 teaspoons butter

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg.  In a smaller bowl combine eggs, pumpkin and applesauce.  Stir the wet ingredients with the dry ones until just moistened.  Fold in the chopped apples until well combined. 
Fill paper lined muffins cups at least 2/3rds full. 

In a small bowl combine the topping for the muffins.  Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together and then using either a pastry cutter of fork, cut in the butter to the mixture until it resembles crumbs.  Spoon the topping over the muffin batter.






Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.


Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes and serve.

Happy Baking and ENJOY!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home