Monday, October 6, 2014

Butterscotch Apple Crisp


Happy October!!!  I can hardly believe that it is already October.  Where did the year go??  Anyway, the weather around here is finally starting to feel like fall and I am loving it.  My back yard is full of fall colors and the air is crisp and cool.  I have already started to bring out my big sweater and hoodies.



I have slowly began to stock my pantry with essentials for the upcoming holiday season.  I feel like it is never ending this time of year, between Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and then New Years!  Wow!!  But, as someone who loves to bake I look forward to it.

One of my favorite foods to cook with this time of year is Apples!!  The only problem......I can never keep them in my house long enough to cook with!!  My kids are lovers of apples, so when I do bring them home, they devour them like there is no tomorrow.  So, I recently bought two 5 pound bags of apples, hoping that there would be a few left to work with.  I lucked out and when I came home with the two new bags, we still had half a bag from the week before!

Now the wheels in my head started to turn.  I was super excited to know that I would be able to make something before my kids ate them all.  So I pulled out my recipe box and started digging through some old recipes to see what I could make that I have not made in a while.  That is when I found my Butterscotch Apple Crisp recipe.  Oh man do I love this one, and I will admit that I have not made it in a while.  I was so pumped up.  My husband went to pick up our kids, who were over my moms house, and I started in baking away.  By the time they came home, I had dinner done and the crisp baking in the oven.  My whole house smelled amazing!!

Once dinner was done and the kids showered and dressed for bed, we dug into the crisp.  It was way better then I remembered it!!  The crispy apples, mixed with the sweet butterscotch and the crunch of the topping, how could you not love it!?!?  The only thing that would have made this dessert even better would have been vanilla ice cream, but I did not have any.  I know, I loose points for that, but we have all been there.

Trust me when I tell you that this recipe is a keeper.  It is perfect for a party or even just a cozy dinner for two.  Just remember the ice cream.

Here is what you need:
Filling:
2 1/2 lbs. Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 (11oz) package of Nestle Butterscotch morsels
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
 Lemon Juice

Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter cut into small cubes
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup old fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 9 x 13 in baking pan and arrange the apple slices in the pan.  Add a small amount of lemon juice to the apple slices to keep from browning.





In a small bowl combine the morsels, sugar, flour and cinnamon.


Sprinkle over the apples and Bake for 20 minutes.






In another bowl, combine the topping of flour and sugar and using either a pastry cutter of fork, cut in the butter until crumbly.  Stir in the oats until well combined.




Sprinkle over the apple mixture and Bake for another 30-40 minutes.





Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.



Happy Baking and ENJOY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home