Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream



When I was a kid I remember around the holidays that my mom would make what I called her “fancy holiday drink”.  It reminded me of a type of chocolate milk shake, and I was always bummed out because we were never allowed to have any of it.   Here I came to find out it was really homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream.  Better known as the “Best Stuff on Earth!!”


I remember it being one of my grandmothers favorite things to have when she would come over for a visit.  My mom would make it and put it in a pretty crystal like bottle and what ever didn't fit in the bottle she would save for herself.  It never really lasted all that long when friends or family come over to visit, and now I understand why. 

It wasn't until I was older that I realized just how good this stuff really was.  Now a days if she makes it for the holidays, she will usually make 4-5 bottles of it to share with family and friends.  All lot of people have asked for the recipe and if it was hard to make.  I asked my mom if she minded if I shared it, and she said no, so now all of you get to experience how good this stuff really is.

If you are a fan of Bailey's Irish Cream, you will definitely love this.  It has a much smoother taste to it and now a huge alcohol after taste.  It is the perfect drink for after a big holiday meal, or just relaxing by the fire on a cold winter day.  It is great added to your favorite after dinner coffee or just sipped over ice.  

Here is what you need:
1 pint of Half and Half
14oz can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 Tablespoons Hershey's Syrup
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 teaspoon Coconut Extract
8oz (1 cup) Brandy or Whiskey (your choice)


Now I have to say that my mom has tried using generic sweetened condensed milk, and it just did not turn out the same, so I will suggest that you use the name brand stuff.

Place all the ingredients in a metal mixing bowl or large measuring cup (be sure it can hold at least 5-6 cups).  Using a wire whisk, whisk all the ingredients together.  Store in a glass bottle and shake to ensure all is mixed well.  



Remember that you have to keep this mix in the fridge!!

Happy Holidays and remember to be responsible when making or consuming this wonderful drink!!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home