Sunday, April 12, 2015

Homemade Brownies


In my life crazy is normal.  I have 3 kids, a full time job, a husband who acts more like a kid than an adult, a dog, two cats, well.....you get the picture.  Life is not always easy.  Add to this, my oldest daughter is a competitive swimmer who for the second year now made it to the YMCA/YWCA State Swim Championships and placed 14th in the 100 Breaststroke!!  Way to go Bean!  My husband and middle daughter are heavily involved in Go Kart Racing, and as my husband likes to remind me "It's Go Kart Season"; where Miss Paige took 3rd in the points championship last year!!  Awesome job June Bug!!   As for my little man, well as summer approaches, he will play soccer again.  So as you can see as one winds down another starts up.  Weekends are spent between swim meets, the Kart track and soon the soccer field, so when something else creeps in you can bet that my crazy level goes up about 10 notches!!

The is exactly what happened not that long ago.  My middle daughter had a birthday party Saturday afternoon, my oldest daughter had her swim banquet Saturday night, the girls and I had a Baby Shower Sunday afternoon and it was my hubby's birthday Sunday as well!!  OMG!!

So as the crazies rose higher and higher I began to think what I could make my hubby for his birthday.  Even though things were nuts at home, I could not not make him anything.  His favorite cake is Chocolate with Peanut Butter Frosting, but he said that since our oldest daughter doesn't like chocolate and peanut butter mixed, (I know, I know she is completely not normal) he said I could make "Whatever".  REALLY?!?!  My crazy level is sky high and he says "Whatever"!

So of course Saturday was out because between the birthday party, getting hair done and making sure clothes were pressed and ready, there was no cake planning.  Sunday was a bit busy with the baby shower, but by the time I got home, I was in Birthday Cake mode.  I was trying to think what I had on had and what I could make that was still a cool Birthday Cake.  My mind was buzzing!

Then it hit me!   Why not make Brownie Sundays!  We had just gotten a lot, and I do mean a lot of ice cream from the Penn State Creamery when we were at State College for States, so this would make a great Birthday treat! 

Now, I no longer keep brownie mix in my house because thanks to the internet, I found the most AWESOME homemade brownie recipe.  It is super easy to make and the dry ingredients you could mix together and keep in a sealed container for up to six months.  What I love about this recipe is that all the ingredients that it uses are all things that I always have on hand.  These brownies are so yummy and chewy and have an awesome chocolate taste to them.

My little man gets super excited when I make these brownies and has been know to eat quite a bit when no one is looking, or so he thinks!!  This is a great way to get your chocolate fix on in record time!

Here is what you need:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 heaping cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl with a fork until just blended.  Remember not to over mix.  Pour brownie mix into a greased 9x9 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Have fun with this recipe by adding nuts, chips, or even dried fruit before baking.

Once cool, cut into squares and top with your favorites!  For my hubby's birthday we topped ours with hot fudge, and Coffee ice cream!  #yummy


Happy Baking and ENJOY!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home