Saturday, January 2, 2016

Homemade Ho Ho Hot Cocoa

Happy New Year!!

Hope you are all having a great start to your new year.  I know that I am.

Now, for anyone who knows me, you know that I LOVE and I stress the word LOVE to give and make homemade things for friends and family for the holidays.  Well this year, that special thing was Homemade Hot Chocolate, or as my one daughter calls it, Ho Ho Hot Cocoa.

I got this idea when trying to think of something fun and interesting go give out this holiday season.  So off I went to the internet and what do I find, but this simple, easy, and delicious recipe for homemade hot chocolate from Alton Brown.

I was super excited to find this.  Who doesn't love hot chocolate?!?!

Living in Northeast PA, this is a staple in my house as soon as fall hits and stays all the way till spring.  So you can imagine that the cost goes up as well.  Those little packets add up after a while.

What I love about this recipe is that it makes a lot!  This way I can make a batch and have tons left for future use.  Also, it stores for a very long time.  Once made store in an air tight container and it will keep indefinitely.  It is such a versatile recipe that you can mix different chocolates or add more mix if you like a richer chocolate drink, or less if you like it that way.  

With the help of my kids, we made a few large batches of this hot chocolate and then packaged it into smaller containers and gave out to friends and family along with copies of the recipes and chocolate dipping sticks. 

It was awesome to see the happy faces as they opened up their hot chocolate and even more fun when I received pictures of them enjoying their sweet chocolaty treat.  

Top with Whipped Cream and now you are ready to celebrate in style!!

Here's what you need.

2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (I used Hershey)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (This is optional)
Hot water
 
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. 
 
In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine.
 
Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. 
 
This also works great with warm milk.

I know that you are going to love this recipe and it will soon be your new favorite drink.  

Happy Baking and ENJOY!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home